Other than language, food has to be the largest part of any culture.
If you are staying in São Paulo in the Pinheiros, Vila Madalena area for longer period of time, you are going to want to know places for food at market rate.
And if you are going to cook for yourself and not eat out all the time. I recommend two places for food groceries.
1. La Feira en na Rua (street farmers market) different days for different area. I go on Saturday on Rua Mourato Coelho around closing time 1:00pm its called Chepa that’s when the vendor markdown their prices. You can get 3 for 5 at the begin normal hours but at the end you could get 5 for 5 vegetables packages. Side note they have the best a Pastel treat and a Caldo de Cana ask for the lemon flavor one. You later use to mix it with cachaca original cocktail I do for family and friends.
Second option personal recommedation for foodie just a regular person or is the the municipal pinherioas market. .. there are many place to eat under one roof. Here are some of my favorite:
1. Reina do Mercado restraurant great place for classic Brazilian dishes they have fresh oysters at Mercado municipal Pinherio
2. Entrepostos Das Feijoada its one my favorite place to buy all types of Brazilian nuts, pecans, chocolates, dry fruit and meats etc etc etc
3. It the center of all the greats shops the center of fresh vegetables and fruits.
4. Poultry: Meats: Boi Cow, Fish, Pork, Chicken .
One of my favorite place to have lunch and shop for my groceries after all in one place.
It’s a culinary center.
It’s a complete food court and good places to sets a price point for your weekly grocery run around the city.